Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Closed for the Holiday!


Back before Miss J was born I was an aspiring photographer looking to leave my full time job in Oil & Gas and become a full time photographer. As a newbie photographer I took every job imaginable and worked overtime to maintain my client base. This overtime included working holidays not just shooting weddings and portraits but also editing and communicating with clients. I really worked myself to the bone in an effort to go above and beyond.

Well, as is the case in most service industries, you'll always have that ONE client where your best is not good enough no matter what you do.  When this happened to me - after processing all the negative feelings - I took a step back and decided that I, along with my family, deserve the TIME to be with one another. I would never take that time away from my clients and I should not give them the power to take that time away from me.

As a small business owner I have the advantage to make that choice for me and my family and I feel bad for the employees of Walmart, Target, et al who don't and have to work tomorrow.  Thanksgiving is a day out of the year where families and get together, enjoy and meal and genuinely enjoy each other's company. Hopefully, in time, the big businesses will remember that as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2014: Miss J at her Thanksgiving Feast

Miss J's class reciting Psalm 100 at their Thanksgiving Feast



No comments:

Post a Comment